Tapestry 5.1.0.5 and HTML 5 Doctype

Benny Law
I am trying to convert my pages to HTML5 but am having problem getting the
correct DOCTYPE to be output. The <!DOCTYPE html> I put in the .tml file is
ignored, and the generated HTML code has no DOCTYPE. I'm interested in how
people are working around this. Thanks.

Benny

Re: Tapestry 5.1.0.5 and HTML 5 Doctype

François Facon-2
Hi Benny,

In order to use html5 in our Web Mobile Solution, I have ask Robin to work
on html5 compatibility last year.
He had post our feedback in the mailing list.
The thread is here
http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/State-on-HTML5-integration-woodstox-rollback-td2470926.html
I suggest you also to have a look on the related Jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-840

If you don't want to patch Tapestry, you have to know that currently most of
modern browser run html5 tag even if you are not using
<!DOCTYPE html>.

For client side detection Modernizr <http://www.modernizr.com/%20>is very
fine.

2011/1/12 Benny Law <[hidden email]>

> I am trying to convert my pages to HTML5 but am having problem getting the
> correct DOCTYPE to be output. The <!DOCTYPE html> I put in the .tml file is
> ignored, and the generated HTML code has no DOCTYPE. I'm interested in how
> people are working around this. Thanks.
>
> Benny

Re: Tapestry 5.1.0.5 and HTML 5 Doctype

Benny Law
Hi François,

Thanks for the info. I am aware of TAPS-840 but haven't studied the patch.
It looks like that's the only solution for now. Without <!DOCTYPE html>,
Firefox 3.6 renders the page in Quirks mode instead of Standards compliance
mode, and I have already noticed some minor issues. I hope this patch gets
integrated with Tapestry soon.

Benny

2011/1/12 François Facon <[hidden email]>

> Hi Benny,
>
> In order to use html5 in our Web Mobile Solution, I have ask Robin to work
> on html5 compatibility last year.
> He had post our feedback in the mailing list.
> The thread is here
>
> http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/State-on-HTML5-integration-woodstox-rollback-td2470926.html
> I suggest you also to have a look on the related Jira
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-840
>
> If you don't want to patch Tapestry, you have to know that currently most
> of
> modern browser run html5 tag even if you are not using
> <!DOCTYPE html>.
>
> For client side detection Modernizr <http://www.modernizr.com/%20>is very
> fine.
>

> 2011/1/12 Benny Law <[hidden email]>
>
> > I am trying to convert my pages to HTML5 but am having problem getting
> the
> > correct DOCTYPE to be output. The <!DOCTYPE html> I put in the .tml file
> is
> > ignored, and the generated HTML code has no DOCTYPE. I'm interested in
> how
> > people are working around this. Thanks.
> >
> > Benny

Re: Tapestry 5.1.0.5 and HTML 5 Doctype

Benny Law
I have looked at the patch provided in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-840 but it seems to be dealing
with the issue of entities only and it's not for Tapestry 5.1.0.5. What I
really want is to be able to output <!DOCTYPE html>. Putting this in the
.tml file isn't working. Can somebody suggest a solution for this please?

Benny

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Benny Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi François,
>
> Thanks for the info. I am aware of TAPS-840 but haven't studied the patch.
> It looks like that's the only solution for now. Without <!DOCTYPE html>,
> Firefox 3.6 renders the page in Quirks mode instead of Standards compliance
> mode, and I have already noticed some minor issues. I hope this patch gets
> integrated with Tapestry soon.
>
> Benny
>
> 2011/1/12 François Facon <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi Benny,
>>
>> In order to use html5 in our Web Mobile Solution, I have ask Robin to work
>> on html5 compatibility last year.
>> He had post our feedback in the mailing list.
>> The thread is here
>>
>> http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/State-on-HTML5-integration-woodstox-rollback-td2470926.html
>> I suggest you also to have a look on the related Jira
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-840
>>
>> If you don't want to patch Tapestry, you have to know that currently most
>> of
>> modern browser run html5 tag even if you are not using
>> <!DOCTYPE html>.
>>
>> For client side detection Modernizr <http://www.modernizr.com/%20>is very
>> fine.
>>

>> 2011/1/12 Benny Law <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > I am trying to convert my pages to HTML5 but am having problem getting
>> the
>> > correct DOCTYPE to be output. The <!DOCTYPE html> I put in the .tml file
>> is
>> > ignored, and the generated HTML code has no DOCTYPE. I'm interested in
>> how
>> > people are working around this. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Benny

Re: Tapestry 5.1.0.5 and HTML 5 Doctype

François Facon-2
I Benny

Some for the pointing the second part of the HTML5 issue.
I think your question is more related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1040
Regards

François

2011/1/14 Benny Law <[hidden email]>

> I have looked at the patch provided in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-840 but it seems to be dealing
> with the issue of entities only and it's not for Tapestry 5.1.0.5. What I
> really want is to be able to output <!DOCTYPE html>. Putting this in the
> .tml file isn't working. Can somebody suggest a solution for this please?
>
> Benny
>
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Benny Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi François,
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I am aware of TAPS-840 but haven't studied the
> patch.
> > It looks like that's the only solution for now. Without <!DOCTYPE html>,
> > Firefox 3.6 renders the page in Quirks mode instead of Standards
> compliance
> > mode, and I have already noticed some minor issues. I hope this patch
> gets
> > integrated with Tapestry soon.
> >
> > Benny
> >
> > 2011/1/12 François Facon <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Hi Benny,
> >>
> >> In order to use html5 in our Web Mobile Solution, I have ask Robin to
> work
> >> on html5 compatibility last year.
> >> He had post our feedback in the mailing list.
> >> The thread is here
> >>

> http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/State-on-HTML5-integration-woodstox-rollback-td2470926.html
> >> I suggest you also to have a look on the related Jira
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-840
> >>
> >> If you don't want to patch Tapestry, you have to know that currently
> most
> >> of
> >> modern browser run html5 tag even if you are not using
> >> <!DOCTYPE html>.
> >>
> >> For client side detection Modernizr <http://www.modernizr.com/%20>is
> very
> >> fine.

> >> the
> file
> >> is
> >> how

Re: Re: Tapestry 5.1.0.5 and HTML 5 Doctype

nillehammer

Hi Benny,

put the following method into your class file:

@SetupRender
final void renderDocType(final MarkupWriter writer) {

  writer.getDocument().raw("<!DOCTYPE html>");
}

If you use a central Layout component, put it there. Otherwise put it into the page classes.

I have tested this with Tap 5.2, but it should work in 5.1 too.

Regards nillehammer

--- original Nachricht Ende ----

Re: Re: Tapestry 5.1.0.5 and HTML 5 Doctype

François Facon-2
I use nille's trick on Tapestr5-jquery-mobile http://bit.ly/fBNNzi.
As excepted, I have now the right doctype for html5 but I still not able to
use
HTML entities.

I did not get the time to look how tapestry 5.2 sax parser works.
What is the best class entry point to get into tapestry's parser?
Regards

2011/1/14 nille hammer <[hidden email]>

> Hi Benny,
>
> put the following method into your class file:
>
> @SetupRender
> final void renderDocType(final MarkupWriter writer) {
>
>  writer.getDocument().raw("<!DOCTYPE html>");
> }
>
> If you use a central Layout component, put it there. Otherwise put it into
> the page classes.
>
> I have tested this with Tap 5.2, but it should work in 5.1 too.
>
> Regards nillehammer

Marvin Monroe
Hi François,

the central template parser class is org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.SaxTemplateParser. Look at the parse() method.
From there you'll get to org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.XMLTokenStream and its inner class SaxHandler. You'll have to patch somewhere in there, I think :-)

Good luck!

Christian

Am 20.02.2011 um 16:22 schrieb François Facon:

> I use nille's trick on Tapestr5-jquery-mobile http://bit.ly/fBNNzi.
> As excepted, I have now the right doctype for html5 but I still not able to
> use
> HTML entities.
>
> I did not get the time to look how tapestry 5.2 sax parser works.
> What is the best class entry point to get into tapestry's parser?
> Regards
>
> 2011/1/14 nille hammer <[hidden email]>
>

>> Hi Benny,
>>
>> put the following method into your class file:
>>
>> @SetupRender
>> final void renderDocType(final MarkupWriter writer) {
>>
>> writer.getDocument().raw("<!DOCTYPE html>");
>> }
>>
>> If you use a central Layout component, put it there. Otherwise put it into
>> the page classes.
>>
>> I have tested this with Tap 5.2, but it should work in 5.1 too.
>>
>> Regards nillehammer

bobharner
By the way, I have added Nille Hammer's work-around (for emitting the
HTML5 doctype) to the documentation, at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAPESTRY/Component+Templates

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Christian Riedel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi François,
>
> the central template parser class is org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.SaxTemplateParser. Look at the parse() method.
> From there you'll get to org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.XMLTokenStream and its inner class SaxHandler. You'll have to patch somewhere in there, I think :-)
>
> Good luck!
>
> Christian
>

> Am 20.02.2011 um 16:22 schrieb François Facon:
>
>> I use nille's trick on Tapestr5-jquery-mobile http://bit.ly/fBNNzi.
>> As excepted, I have now the right doctype for html5 but I still not able to
>> use
>> HTML entities.
>>
>> I did not get the time to look how tapestry 5.2 sax parser works.
>> What is the best class entry point to get into tapestry's parser?
>> Regards
>>
>> 2011/1/14 nille hammer <[hidden email]>
>>

>>> Hi Benny,
>>>
>>> put the following method into your class file:
>>>
>>> @SetupRender
>>> final void renderDocType(final MarkupWriter writer) {
>>>
>>> writer.getDocument().raw("<!DOCTYPE html>");
>>> }
>>>
>>> If you use a central Layout component, put it there. Otherwise put it into
>>> the page classes.
>>>
>>> I have tested this with Tap 5.2, but it should work in 5.1 too.
>>>
>>> Regards nillehammer

Correction, the URL should be:
http://tapestry.apache.org/component-templates.html (once the change
propagates in an hour or two, and the apache site comes back up)