i give up

12

i give up

Josh Kamau
I give up. I cant get simple things to work and the scattered documentation
is not helping . I will wait till the year when there will be a Tapestry5 in
action book.

Re: i give up

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 09:42:17 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I give up.

In my humble opinion, you're giving up too fast. In addition, your chosen
path wasn't the best one. I think you should try to learn how to write
pages and *use* components first. You should try to write your own
components after learning how to use them. I'm a teacher and, by my
experience, people learn more and faster when they're tackling one thing
at a time, only moving forward when they've learned the previous studied
object well.

> I cant get simple things to work and the scattered documentation is not
> helping.

Tapestry's documentation is being rewritten at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAPESTRY/Documentation.

> I will wait till the year when there will be a Tapestry5 in action book.

If you read German, Igor Drobiazko, one of the Tapestry commiters wrote
one. As far as I know, he's in the process of translating it to English.
If you read Portuguese, I wrote one too. :)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
Consultor, desenvolvedor e instrutor em Java, Tapestry e Hibernate

Re: i give up

Taha Hafeez
Hi Josh,

To be frank enough, I gave up tapestry atleast 5 times and this time even
the start was difficult... (Previous 4 times I went back to wicket, which is
also a very good framework). But then it is so good that you keep coming
back to it.

This is what I will suggest

1. Follow Tutorial #1
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tutorial1/<http://Tutorial%20#1>

2. Try Jump Start:  http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au:8080/jumpstart/

3. Try a small project of yours in tapestry and if you face any problems,
you have this mailing list and believe me it is one of the best support I
have seen in any mailing list.

Taha

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I give up. I cant get simple things to work and the scattered documentation
> is not helping . I will wait till the year when there will be a Tapestry5
> in
> action book.

Re: i give up

Josh Kamau
Thanks Thiago for your encouragement.

Here is my layout class.

    <head>

    </head>

        <t:body/>

package com.josh.tcontacts.components;

import org.apache.tapestry5.annotations.Import;

@Import(stylesheet={"context:css/style.css"})
public class Layout {

}

Here is my scenario.

I have learnt how to create pages and how to create the layout component.
Learning how to use the individual ready made tapestry components is not
going to be a problem since the component reference is quite good.

My main problem so far is to manage the layout and to compose pages. I am
used to decomposing my pages into components. E.g i can have the header
component, the menus component, the EditUser component  e.tc. when ever i
want to create a new page, i can create the page and which will "inherit"
from the main layout but then be "Composed" of other components .  You may
have suspected that i have worked with wicket before i decided to try
tapestry. I could create panels in wicket and compose other pages using the
panels. That way i never repeat any markup .  Now i wanted to achieve the
same with tapestry and i know its possible. If i can be able to compose
pages, then working with the readily available components is not an issue.
Again , if i were to create each page and inherit the Layout, that wont be a
problem. How ever, i really need to be sure that i can split the markup into
various components and compose the pages as neccessary. I have read the book
by Kolesnikov but its referring mostly to tapestry 5.0 while there are major
features introduced in 5.2.x. So i used the book to learn the basic concepts
which i have understood. how ever, i wanted to learn the current stuff
regarding the UI components, annotations .e.t.c.

I hope you have a picture of my situation.

Again thanks alot for your help.

Regards.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 09:42:17 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>  I give up.
>>

> In my humble opinion, you're giving up too fast. In addition, your chosen
> path wasn't the best one. I think you should try to learn how to write pages
> and *use* components first. You should try to write your own components
> after learning how to use them. I'm a teacher and, by my experience, people
> learn more and faster when they're tackling one thing at a time, only moving
> forward when they've learned the previous studied object well.
>

>  I cant get simple things to work and the scattered documentation is not
>> helping.
>>

> Tapestry's documentation is being rewritten at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAPESTRY/Documentation.
>

>  I will wait till the year when there will be a Tapestry5 in action book.
>>

> If you read German, Igor Drobiazko, one of the Tapestry commiters wrote
> one. As far as I know, he's in the process of translating it to English. If
> you read Portuguese, I wrote one too. :)
>
> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Consultor, desenvolvedor e instrutor em Java, Tapestry e Hibernate
> Coordenador e professor da Especialização em Engenharia de Software com
> Ênfase em Java da Faculdade Pitágoras
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: i give up

Josh Kamau
Taha,

I think i identify alot with you. I am already comfortable with wicket and
have done several projects. But i was feeling that i would be more
productive with tapestry. I even bought a book to learn from. This is my
second attempt to tapestry. I think a framework as good as tapestry and with
so many nitty gritties to be learnt out to have an up to date USer guide
that gives the whole picture.

regards.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Taha Hafeez <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> To be frank enough, I gave up tapestry atleast 5 times and this time even
> the start was difficult... (Previous 4 times I went back to wicket, which
> is
> also a very good framework). But then it is so good that you keep coming
> back to it.
>
> This is what I will suggest
>
> 1. Follow Tutorial #1
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tutorial1/<http://Tutorial%20#1>
>
> 2. Try Jump Start:  http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au:8080/jumpstart/
>
> 3. Try a small project of yours in tapestry and if you face any problems,
> you have this mailing list and believe me it is one of the best support I
> have seen in any mailing list.
>
> Taha
>
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I give up. I cant get simple things to work and the scattered
> documentation
> > is not helping . I will wait till the year when there will be a Tapestry5
> > in
> > action book.

Re: i give up

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:30:36 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Here is my scenario.

You're layout seems ok.

> That way i never repeat any markup .  Now i wanted to achieve the
> same with tapestry and i know its possible.

As far as I know, Wicket is the most similar framework to Tapestry.

> How ever, i really need to be sure that i can split the markup into
> various components and compose the pages as neccessary.

You can do that. Tapestry is meant to be easy and quick to create a
component. You're probably stumbling into some detail (I guess it's with
your environment, not your Tapestry cod) that prevents your component to
work.

What's your environment? Eclipse? m2eclipse? Jetty? Tomcat? Have you
checked if your component template is being put in the classpath in the
same package/folder as your component?

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: i give up

Sven Homburg
i remember my early days wirth tapestry.
i was in the same situation as nearly most tapesty beginners, i "feel"
that tapestry is a big pitch
but i was far away from understanding the philosophy behind tapestry.

it was a stony way, without personal help and no books.
but since a few years (since Tapestry 5), i feel extremly well with tapestry.

i recommend you, stay on this road and take advantage of the community,
that is very fast an extremly polished

with regards
Sven Homburg
Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
http://chenillekit.codehaus.org

2010/11/6 Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>

> I give up. I cant get simple things to work and the scattered documentation
> is not helping . I will wait till the year when there will be a Tapestry5 in
> action book.

Re: i give up

Katia Aresti Gonzalez-2
Hi Josh,

Recently one Tapestry committer - Christophe Cordenier
-<http://spreadthesource.com/>[1] posted an announce to make people to
join him to create some projects
together in order to learn Tapestry. This initiative is helping to build
Tapestry demos in order to make beginners life easier.
Hotel-Booking-Demo [2] is an startup. Another demo is Tapestwitter [3],
which is going to be modified to add new Tapestry 5.2 features and a new
layout, with kind of components as you described you wish to learn. We will
create more complex demos from this base.
If you are motivated to learn and give Tapestry feedback, you could join the
team.

Tapestry 5.2 adds new features, and some of them are described and very well
explained on Igor's blog [4]
You will find very good tutorials in Howard's blog [5], as for example how
to understand what "Heartbeat" and "Environmental" means ... (honestly, this
is not an easy part)

Don't give up !!!!  And do not blame tapestry neither because of maven, or
because maven plugin doesn't work. As this is Tapestry, not Maven project ;)

Katia

[1] : http://spreadthesource.com/
[2] : http://github.com/ccordenier/tapestry5-hotel-booking
[3] : http://github.com/lguerin/tapestwitter
[4] : http://blog.tapestry5.de/
[5] : http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/

2010/11/6 Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>

> Taha,
>
> I think i identify alot with you. I am already comfortable with wicket and
> have done several projects. But i was feeling that i would be more
> productive with tapestry. I even bought a book to learn from. This is my
> second attempt to tapestry. I think a framework as good as tapestry and
> with
> so many nitty gritties to be learnt out to have an up to date USer guide
> that gives the whole picture.
>
> regards.
>
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Taha Hafeez <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > To be frank enough, I gave up tapestry atleast 5 times and this time even
> > the start was difficult... (Previous 4 times I went back to wicket, which
> > is
> > also a very good framework). But then it is so good that you keep coming
> > back to it.
> >
> > This is what I will suggest
> >
> > 1. Follow Tutorial #1
> > http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tutorial1/<http://Tutorial%20#1>
> >
> > 2. Try Jump Start:
> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au:8080/jumpstart/
> >
> > 3. Try a small project of yours in tapestry and if you face any problems,
> > you have this mailing list and believe me it is one of the best support I
> > have seen in any mailing list.
> >
> > Taha
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I give up. I cant get simple things to work and the scattered
> > documentation
> > > is not helping . I will wait till the year when there will be a
> Tapestry5
> > > in
> > > action book.

Re: i give up

Josh Kamau
Thiago,

I am using Eclipse with maven and running it via mvn jetty:run. I am fine
with restarting jetty when i make a change so i dont care much about
enabling live reloading.

What i am doing is very simple. All i want is to have markup contained in a
file e.g what is in my Menubar.tml  to be inserted into a page, e.g my
Index.tml page. I thought i would do that by creating my Menubar.tml and
Menubar.java as component and then adding it wherever i want in any page by
doing something like <div t:type="menubar"/>. If someone can do this and
send me the files i will appreciate.

Thanks all.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:30:36 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>  Here is my scenario.
>>

> You're layout seems ok.
>

>  That way i never repeat any markup .  Now i wanted to achieve the
>> same with tapestry and i know its possible.
>>

> As far as I know, Wicket is the most similar framework to Tapestry.
>

>  How ever, i really need to be sure that i can split the markup into
>> various components and compose the pages as neccessary.
>>

> You can do that. Tapestry is meant to be easy and quick to create a
> component. You're probably stumbling into some detail (I guess it's with
> your environment, not your Tapestry cod) that prevents your component to
> work.
>
> What's your environment? Eclipse? m2eclipse? Jetty? Tomcat? Have you
> checked if your component template is being put in the classpath in the same
> package/folder as your component?
>
> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
> and instructor
>
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: i give up

Sven Homburg
class Menubar
{
  @Property
  private List menuItems;

  @Property
  private String item;

  @Component(parameters = {"source=menuItems", "value=item"})
  private Loop itemLoop;

  @SetupRender
  void initSomeVars()
  {
     menuItems = new ArrayList()
     menuItems.add("First Item");
     menuItems.add("Second Item");
  }
}

Menubar.tml
<t:content>
<ul>
<li t:id="itemLoop">${value}</li>
</ul>
<t:content>

class Index
{
  @Component
  private Menubar menubar
}

Index.tml

with regards
Sven Homburg
Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
http://chenillekit.codehaus.org

2010/11/6 Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>:

> Thiago,
>
> I am using Eclipse with maven and running it via mvn jetty:run. I am fine
> with restarting jetty when i make a change so i dont care much about
> enabling live reloading.
>
> What i am doing is very simple. All i want is to have markup contained in a
> file e.g what is in my Menubar.tml  to be inserted into a page, e.g my
> Index.tml page. I thought i would do that by creating my Menubar.tml and
> Menubar.java as component and then adding it wherever i want in any page by
> doing something like <div t:type="menubar"/>. If someone can do this and
> send me the files i will appreciate.
>
> Thanks all.
>

> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:30:36 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Here is my scenario.
>>>

>> You're layout seems ok.
>>

>>  That way i never repeat any markup .  Now i wanted to achieve the
>>> same with tapestry and i know its possible.
>>>

>> As far as I know, Wicket is the most similar framework to Tapestry.
>>

>>  How ever, i really need to be sure that i can split the markup into
>>> various components and compose the pages as neccessary.
>>>

>> You can do that. Tapestry is meant to be easy and quick to create a
>> component. You're probably stumbling into some detail (I guess it's with
>> your environment, not your Tapestry cod) that prevents your component to
>> work.
>>
>> What's your environment? Eclipse? m2eclipse? Jetty? Tomcat? Have you
>> checked if your component template is being put in the classpath in the same
>> package/folder as your component?
>>
>> --
>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
>> and instructor
>> Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.
>>
>> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: i give up

Josh Kamau
Thanks  alot.

Am on my eclipse trying it out.

regards.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Sven Homburg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >>>

> >> As far as I know, Wicket is the most similar framework to Tapestry.
> >>

> >>  How ever, i really need to be sure that i can split the markup into
> >>>

> >> You can do that. Tapestry is meant to be easy and quick to create a
> >> component. You're probably stumbling into some detail (I guess it's with
> >> your environment, not your Tapestry cod) that prevents your component to
> >> work.
> >>
> >> What's your environment? Eclipse? m2eclipse? Jetty? Tomcat? Have you
> >> checked if your component template is being put in the classpath in the
> same
> >> package/folder as your component?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> >> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
> >> and instructor
> >> Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.

Re: i give up

Sven Homburg
${value} in the Menubar template should be ${item}

2010/11/6 Sven Homburg <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>>

>>>  That way i never repeat any markup .  Now i wanted to achieve the
>>>>

>>> As far as I know, Wicket is the most similar framework to Tapestry.
>>>

>>>  How ever, i really need to be sure that i can split the markup into
>>>>

>>> You can do that. Tapestry is meant to be easy and quick to create a
>>> component. You're probably stumbling into some detail (I guess it's with
>>> your environment, not your Tapestry cod) that prevents your component to
>>> work.
>>>
>>> What's your environment? Eclipse? m2eclipse? Jetty? Tomcat? Have you
>>> checked if your component template is being put in the classpath in the same
>>> package/folder as your component?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>>> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
>>> and instructor
>>> Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.

Re: i give up

Josh Kamau
Sven

Seems like i am getting somewhere.

Kindly tell me, what causes this:

An unexpected application exception has occurred.

   - org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.internal.OperationException
   Embedded component(s) menuBar are defined within component class
   com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index (or a super-class of Index), but are not
   present in the component template
   (classpath:com/josh/tcontacts/pages/Index.tml).
   trace
      - Constructing instance of page class com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index
      - Creating ComponentAssembler for com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index
   - java.lang.RuntimeException

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Sven Homburg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ${value} in the Menubar template should be ${item}
>
> with regards
> Sven Homburg
> Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
> http://chenillekit.codehaus.org
>

> 2010/11/6 Sven Homburg <[hidden email]>:
> > class Menubar
> > {
> >  @Property
> >  private List menuItems;
> >
> >  @Property
> >  private String item;
> >
> >  @Component(parameters = {"source=menuItems", "value=item"})
> >  private Loop itemLoop;
> >
> >  @SetupRender
> >  void initSomeVars()
> >  {
> >     menuItems = new ArrayList()
> >     menuItems.add("First Item");
> >     menuItems.add("Second Item");
> >  }
> > }
> >
> > Menubar.tml
> > <t:content>
> > <ul>
> > <li t:id="itemLoop">${value}</li>
> > </ul>
> > <t:content>
> >
> > class Index
> > {
> >  @Component
> >  private Menubar menubar
> > }
> >
> > Index.tml
> >

> > with regards
> > Sven Homburg
> > Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
> > http://chenillekit.codehaus.org
> >

> > 2010/11/6 Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>:
> >> Thiago,
> >>
> >> I am using Eclipse with maven and running it via mvn jetty:run. I am
> fine
> >> with restarting jetty when i make a change so i dont care much about
> >> enabling live reloading.
> >>
> >> What i am doing is very simple. All i want is to have markup contained
> in a
> >> file e.g what is in my Menubar.tml  to be inserted into a page, e.g my
> >> Index.tml page. I thought i would do that by creating my Menubar.tml and
> >> Menubar.java as component and then adding it wherever i want in any page
> by
> >> doing something like <div t:type="menubar"/>. If someone can do this and
> >> send me the files i will appreciate.
> >>
> >> Thanks all.

> with

> same

> developer,

Re: i give up

Howard Lewis Ship
When you define a component in the Java class, using a field with the
@Component annotation, it has to "bind" to an element of the template with
the matching t:id attribute.  Your template, Index.tml, does not have an
element with t:id="menuBar".

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sven
>
> Seems like i am getting somewhere.
>
> Kindly tell me, what causes this:
>
> An unexpected application exception has occurred.
>
>   - org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.internal.OperationException
>   Embedded component(s) menuBar are defined within component class
>   com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index (or a super-class of Index), but are not
>   present in the component template
>   (classpath:com/josh/tcontacts/pages/Index.tml).
>   trace
>      - Constructing instance of page class com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index
>      - Creating ComponentAssembler for com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index
>   - java.lang.RuntimeException
>   Embedded component(s) menuBar are defined within component class
>   com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index (or a super-class of Index), but are not
>   present in the component template
>   (classpath:com/josh/tcontacts/pages/Index.tml).
>

> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Sven Homburg <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > ${value} in the Menubar template should be ${item}
> >
> > with regards
> > Sven Homburg
> > Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
> > http://chenillekit.codehaus.org
> >

> > 2010/11/6 Sven Homburg <[hidden email]>:
> > > class Menubar
> > > {
> > >  @Property
> > >  private List menuItems;
> > >
> > >  @Property
> > >  private String item;
> > >
> > >  @Component(parameters = {"source=menuItems", "value=item"})
> > >  private Loop itemLoop;
> > >
> > >  @SetupRender
> > >  void initSomeVars()
> > >  {
> > >     menuItems = new ArrayList()
> > >     menuItems.add("First Item");
> > >     menuItems.add("Second Item");
> > >  }
> > > }
> > >
> > > Menubar.tml
> > > <t:content>
> > > <ul>
> > > <li t:id="itemLoop">${value}</li>
> > > </ul>
> > > <t:content>
> > >
> > > class Index
> > > {
> > >  @Component
> > >  private Menubar menubar
> > > }
> > >
> > > Index.tml
> > >

> > > with regards
> > > Sven Homburg
> > > Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
> > > http://chenillekit.codehaus.org

> > fine

> > in a
> and
> page
> > by
> and

> [hidden email]>

> > with

> the
> > same

> > developer,

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn
how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: i give up

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 12:55:09 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thiago,

Hi!

> I am using Eclipse with maven and running it via mvn jetty:run. I am fine
> with restarting jetty when i make a change so i dont care much about
> enabling live reloading.

You'll learn and develop way faster with live class reloading. There's no
reason for not using it (and many for using). Are you running jetty:run in
the command line or using m2eclipse? If under m2eclipse, there's one
gotcha: it configures Eclipse such that src/main/resources isn't copied to
target/classes autimatically.

How is your package structure? Where are you putting your files? I guess
Tapestry isn't finding your component template due to it being in the
wrong place or not being included in the classpath. Component templates
should be in the same package as the corresponding class and have the same
name, case sensitive.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: i give up

Josh Kamau
Thanks guys,

My menubar thing worked. Am proceeding very well now and am liking it.

I am planning on starting a blog and sharing my lessons with the world.

regards.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 12:55:09 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>  Thiago,
>>

> Hi!
>

>  I am using Eclipse with maven and running it via mvn jetty:run. I am fine
>> with restarting jetty when i make a change so i dont care much about
>> enabling live reloading.
>>

> You'll learn and develop way faster with live class reloading. There's no
> reason for not using it (and many for using). Are you running jetty:run in
> the command line or using m2eclipse? If under m2eclipse, there's one gotcha:
> it configures Eclipse such that src/main/resources isn't copied to
> target/classes autimatically.
>
> How is your package structure? Where are you putting your files? I guess
> Tapestry isn't finding your component template due to it being in the wrong
> place or not being included in the classpath. Component templates should be
> in the same package as the corresponding class and have the same name, case
> sensitive.
>

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
> and instructor
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: i give up

Muhammad Gelbana
Congrats :)

I'd say that tapestry is not easy to be a second nature to anyone..but it's
developers !
First you have to understand it well because it's almost like nothing you
have been seen before with respect to productivity and programming models
(did I use the term right ?)

Anyway, stay on it. Follow the documentation mentioned above..and this one
too http://people.apache.org/~uli/tapestry-site/index.html, Once I looked at
the FAQ page, man it took a breath away !!..Felt like looking at a gold mine
!! At last someone is speaking about the difference between pages and
components, different @Inject annotation variances...and the mystery
called Environmental etc, You will love it.

I haven't tried much web frameworks but Tapestry is lovely. Only if it had
the amount of developers working on it full time, we'd have it just the way
we'd like a web framework to be soon enough to end the frustration. But
sadly they are all almost busy with their jobs, and no one can blame them
for that.

Stay on the list, anyone will surely help if he could :)

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks guys,
>
> My menubar thing worked. Am proceeding very well now and am liking it.
>
> I am planning on starting a blog and sharing my lessons with the world.
>
> regards.
>
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 12:55:09 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >  Thiago,
> >>

> > Hi!
> >

> >  I am using Eclipse with maven and running it via mvn jetty:run. I am
> fine
> >> with restarting jetty when i make a change so i dont care much about
> >> enabling live reloading.
> >>

> > You'll learn and develop way faster with live class reloading. There's no
> > reason for not using it (and many for using). Are you running jetty:run
> in
> > the command line or using m2eclipse? If under m2eclipse, there's one
> gotcha:
> > it configures Eclipse such that src/main/resources isn't copied to
> > target/classes autimatically.
> >
> > How is your package structure? Where are you putting your files? I guess
> > Tapestry isn't finding your component template due to it being in the
> wrong
> > place or not being included in the classpath. Component templates should
> be
> > in the same package as the corresponding class and have the same name,
> case
> > sensitive.
> >

> > --
> > Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> > Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
> > and instructor
> > Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.
> > http://www.arsmachina.com.br

*Regards,*
*Muhammad Gelbana
Java Software Programmer*

Re: i give up

Josh Kamau
Thanks Muhammad. I hope to be good enough to help someone.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Muhammad Mohsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > it configures Eclipse such that src/main/resources isn't copied to
> > > target/classes autimatically.
> > >
> > > How is your package structure? Where are you putting your files? I
> guess
> > > Tapestry isn't finding your component template due to it being in the
> > wrong
> > > place or not being included in the classpath. Component templates
> should
> > be
> > > in the same package as the corresponding class and have the same name,
> > case
> > > sensitive.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> > > Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant,
> developer,
> > > and instructor
> > > Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:40:13 -0200, Josh Kamau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks guys,

You're welcome!

> My menubar thing worked. Am proceeding very well now and am liking it.

Cool! What was your error? I'm very curious to know. :)

> I am planning on starting a blog and sharing my lessons with the world.

That would be very nice. Don't forget to post its URL for us. ;)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: i give up

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:44:22 -0200, Muhammad Mohsen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> First you have to understand it well because it's almost like nothing you
> have been seen before with respect to productivity and programming models
> (did I use the term right ?)

Part of its fundamental concepts (pages and components modelled and
treated as objects) have some similarity with Wicket, but the
implementation details are quite different.

> Anyway, stay on it. Follow the documentation mentioned above..and this
> one too http://people.apache.org/~uli/tapestry-site/index.html, Once I
> looked at the FAQ page, man it took a breath away !!..

The Tapestry weakness has always been the documentation, but the new one
it's becoming waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the current one.

> Felt like looking at a gold mine !! At last someone is speaking about
> the difference between pages and
> components, different @Inject annotation variances...and the mystery
> called Environmental etc, You will love it.

@Environmental and the Environment are not hard to use, just to understand
at first sight. :) Think of it as one way of a page or component to pass
some info both up and down in the tree.

> I haven't tried much web frameworks but Tapestry is lovely.

In my humble opinion:

* Struts 1 sucks big time. I started hating it when I started to teach it.
* Struts 2 (aka WebWork) is what Struts 1 should have been in first place.
It's a nice framework, but it's request-oriented. Tapestry, Wicket and JSF
are component and event oriented, making programming easier and better.
* JSF is complex.
* I've never programmed in other Web frameworks.

> Only if it had the amount of developers working on it fulltime, we'd
> have it just the way
> we'd like a web framework to be soon enough to end the frustration. But
> sadly they are all almost busy with their jobs, and no one can blame them
> for that.

If anyone wants to pay me to work on Tapestry full time, please tell me.
:) ;)

> Stay on the list, anyone will surely help if he could :)

That's one of the Tapestry's advantages. :)